Tuesday, February 17, 2009


I know it's past the date...but the cookies I made for Valentine's Day were so labor-intensive that I had to show them! Martha Stewart had some guests on her show last week...or the week before, that own a cookie shop in NY. They deomonstrated how to make their signature Valentine heart cookie and I was hooked! The cookies looked so cute and the cookie shop "The Jewels of New York" sells the cookies- 4 for $25! So, I thought I would take-on the challenge of baking these confectionary gold mines. The sugar cookie recipe was a bit different from your average recipe for the kind, HOWEVER, I am now hooked on this recipe for sugar cookies! I altered the jam topping a bit...instead of canned lychees (which, by the way, I have only seen at Trader Joe's one time and that was about a year ago) I used canned peaches and instead of prosecco, I substituted gingerale. I chose to frost the other sections of the cookie with cream-cheese frosting instead of royal icing (who likes the taste of that anyway?). I also baked some for my primary class that were the smaller cookies with just jam...and I think they are better than the sugar overdose of the larger size. All-in-all, it was fun baking them and they present well, but I don't think I'll ever be making the pinwheel hearts again....spreading frosting with a toothpick is not how I want to spend my evening!

5 comments:

Paul and Suzy said...

Whitney, I must say that I am SO impressed!!! Those cookies are so beautiful! I just want to gobble them up! BTW I miss you. We should get together some time!

Tyler and Lisa said...

Wow...those cookies look amazing!!! So good that you don't want to eat them. Great job!!!

chickadee3357 said...

They do look amazing, but frosting with a toothpick is a little insane.

D and C said...

I freaking LOVE you! I miss your baking skills. You should move to Utah and be my friend here. I Miss you guys! Hope all is well!

BriANDaleen said...

Cute cookies! I did think about trying to look you up, but with it being such a whirlwind trip and having a lot of family around, I didn't want to be rude and ditch them to see you. I love San Fran by the way. We were talking about moving there someday, so if you know someplace that's not so ridiculously expensive...let me know!